Will Invisalign® Aligners Make my Teeth Yellow Over Time?
While Invisalign aligners can help you straighten your teeth and correct any alignment irregularities with your smile, you might have reservations about whether this is the right treatment for you. Part of your worries might be whether Invisalign aligners could potentially cause your teeth to become stained and yellow.
The dentists at ACE Dental of Belton are here to ease your worries and want to show you can prevent your teeth from becoming yellow while on the Invisalign program. While we will give you all the information and tools to set you up for success, you’ll need to do your part by completing your due diligence to ensure your teeth stay healthy. You’ll also need to keep your aligners clean for the best results in Belton, TX.
What can I do to make sure my teeth are healthy?
During the Invisalign process, you'll need to protect your teeth by maintaining proper dental health. While you should wear your aligners for at least 20 hours a day during the treatment, you should also pay attention to how you’re maintaining those teeth during those times when you’re not wearing the aligners.
Here are a few things you can do to keep your teeth safe during the treatment process:
- Brush after each meal with fluoride toothpaste. Use a soft toothbrush to protect your teeth.
- Floss every day, particularly in areas where you consume food the most. Flossing helps keep bacteria from developing in between your teeth.
- Avoid foods that might stain your teeth. These include foods and drinks that have intense dark colors. Red wine is one of the most common causes of stained teeth, for example.
- Avoid smoking, as the residues and other compounds left while smoking can penetrate your enamel and be hard to clean. The residues could also stick in your aligners.
How can I keep my Invisalign aligners clean between each session?
The dental team at ACE Dental of Belton can help you plan your treatment effort by scheduling different aligners every 1 – 2 weeks. Your aligners should also be properly cleaned during the treatment process to prevent any staining of your teeth.
Here are some ideas you can use in Belton, TX:
- Rinse your aligners each night to keep them safe. Your aligners will feel more refreshed when you clean them well.
- Use a toothbrush to clean out the aligners. You can use a brush separate from what you use for your teeth. Be sure the brush is soft and smooth and doesn’t have any rough edges.
- Don’t use your aligners for longer than necessary. Using a single aligner for too long can keep the process from being as effective; plus, the old aligner may be more prone to staining.
Ask us for help with your Invisalign needs today!
If you are interested in Invisalign treatment, contact our team at ACE Dental of Belton for a consultation in Belton, TX. We provide a thorough approach that includes a full review of your teeth and an inspection of how well Invisalign aligners can work for you. We are even open on Saturdays for your convenience.